Dog Collar Sizing
HOW TO MEASURE YOUR DOG COLLAR
All dogs are different and vary in their size, just as people vary in size and shape. Here is a general guideline to fit your dog appropriately for a dog collar. For a proper fit, measure your dog's neck with a cloth seamstress's tape measure. (If you do not have a tape measure, you can use a piece of string and then measure the string with a rigid ruler.)
- If you still have the old collar, measure that to use as a guide. Otherwise…
- Take a measurement a few inches down from his head and then add an inch for very small dogs or two inches for medium and large dogs.
- Pull the tape snug but not tight.
- Allow sufficient room to slip two fingers between the collar and the dog's neck. Or you can measure his neck and add two inches.
- When the collar is on his neck it should allow you to slide two fingers under a properly fitting collar and your dog's neck. If there's extra room, you need a smaller size. If both fingers don't fit, the collar is too small.
Dog Collar Sizing Chart
Use the measurements below to help you choose the right collar for a healthy, happy pet. (1 lb = .45 kg)
Dog Collar should be snug enough to fit two fingers between the dog's neck & their collar.
XX SMALL (Up to 5 lbs)
Common Breeds: Chihuahua & Teacup Yorkshire Terrier
NECK: 6 - 8"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 5/16" width
X SMALL (5-10 lbs)
Common Breeds: Dachshund (miniature), Maltese, Pomeranian, Toy Poodle, Yorkshire Terrier
NECK: 8 - 12"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 3/8" width
SMALL (10-25 lbs)
Common Breeds: Cavalier King Charles, Pekingese, Miniature Schnauzer, Pug, Scottish Terrier
NECK: 10 - 14"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 5/8" width
MEDIUM (Up to 55 lbs)
Common Breeds: Beagle, Border Collie, Boston Terrier, English Bulldog, French Bulldog
NECK: 14 - 20"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 3/4" width
LARGE (Up to 75 lbs)
Common Breeds: Boxer, Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Weimaraner
NECK: 16 - 26"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 1" width, 2 ply for strong pullers
X-LARGE (75+ lbs)
Common Breeds: Bernese Mountain Dog, Great Dane, Mastiff, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard
NECK: 24 - 30"
RECOMMENDED LEASH: 1.5" width, 2 ply for strong pullers